Victorian fountain completed
The restoration of the St. Lawrence Jewry Fountain, which now stands at the East end of Carter Lane near St Paul’s Cathedral, was completed in August 2010.
The Victorian fountain was designed by architect John Robinson and the bronze sculpture was carried out by the artist Joseph Durham, and erected in 1866 outside the church of St Lawrence Jewry. During the redevelopment of the Guildhall in the 1970’s, the fountain was dismantled, but one of the planning permission conditions of the redevelopment was that the fountain should be re-erected. The dismantled fountain was left in the bomb site of the Guildhall Art Gallery for approximately 15 years and then stored on pallets in a barn at Great Gregories Farm, in Epping.
Images © 2011 Harris Digital Productions