Blackfriars Railway Bridge Refurbishment
Since March of last year Blackfriars Railway Bridge has been the focus of major refurbishments as part of Network Rail`s Thameslink upgrade programme. Whilst the short-term effect of these works has no doubt been the bane of many a commuters journey, directors promise that the long-term results will be well worth it, with an enlarged Tube ticket hall, refurbished platforms and improved access to platforms. In order to accommodate a higher influx of train’s platforms will also be extended across the Thames, an unprecedented move for any London station. Whilst the stations Overground services have stayed open to commuters, its Underground will remain closed until late next year.
Located between Blackfriars Bridge and the Millennium Bridge, Blackfriars Railway Bridge is the second of two structures to have that name. The original Blackfriars Bridge was designed by Joseph Cubitt and opened in 1864, but following the formation of the Southern Railway its use dwindled. It was eventually removed in 1985 although to this day a number of the bridge`s original columns remain, along with its southern abutment. The current bridge, designed by W. Mills and opened in 1886, is located alongside the old bridge and was originally called St Paul`s Railway Bridge. In 1937 it changed its name to the one we know today; Blackfriars.
Scaffolding being erected on Blackfriars Railway Bridge – April 2010