Industrial painting contractors have now started grit blasting Span 4.
Polythene wraps have been applied to the scaffolding, which prevents particles of paint or dust escaping into the natural environment.
Southwark Bridge is an arch bridge linking Southwark and the City across the River Thames. It was designed by Ernest George and Basil Mott and opened in 1921.
- Southwark Bridge will be returned to its original bright colours of green and yellow
- 13,000 litres of paint will be used on Southwark Bridge
- 26,000 man hours to complete the Southwark Bridge job over a four – year period
- £2.5 million to complete Southwark Bridge facelift
- 1,000 tonnes of expendable abrasive will be used to blast Southwark Bridge back to its metal framework before repainting
Video by Harris Digital Productions
[FMP poster=”http://www.harrisdigital.co.uk/resources/grit-blasting-southwark-bridge.jpg”] http://www.harrisdigital.co.uk/resources/grit-blasting-southwark-bridge.flv [/FMP]